In the celebration of the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, we ask for and experience God’s compassion for those who suffer some form of serious illness and those who are at the point of death. In the anointing and laying on of hands, God’s healing power is called upon those whose body and spirits are broken. Healing may come physically, but God will always provide spiritual strength and consolation to endure even to the point of death.
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church
"1532 The special grace of the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick has as its effects:
- the uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church;
- the strengthening, peace and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings if illness or old age;
- the forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance;
- the restoration of health, if it is conductive to the salvation of his soul;
- the preparation for passing over to eternal life."
The sick should be anointed as soon as they are seriously ill, not waiting until the last moments of life.
Please call the parish office on 908-475-2559 regarding sick and home bound visits.